Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Raid

An air raid was the single greatest fear for the average German citizen, other than being sent into the war. Liesel and her family react to the threat the same as everyone else. Hans spent a small amount of money to buy a radio. "This way, he said, we can hear when the raids are coming even before the sirens start. They make a cuckoo sound and then announce the regions at risk." (Zusak, 371). The first air raid on the Molching region was in September, 1942. The Hubermanns had discussed weeks before that Max would stay in their basement, while Hans, Rosa, and Liesel go to the Fiedler's basement. Hans felt it was not right to leave Max in danger, but Max, in true recognition of his situation, convinces them to go. The Hubermann family makes their way to the Fiedler's house, where the rest of Himmel street had converged making their way down into the small basement. (Zusak,153). Death's presence was felt that night, each person knowing that the next moment could be their last. Nobody was taken, but they knew he was there. In the moments before the sirens ring to signal the end of the raid, the people of Himmel street form a living circle of prayer, each person hoping to survive that night. Meanwhile, Max did something very dangerous, which threatened not only his safety, but the safety of the Hubermann's. "I...' He struggled to answer. 'When everything was quiet, I went up to the coridor and the curtain in the living room was open just a crack...I could see outside. I watched, only for a few seconds."           (Zusak, 377).
I have been treated unfairly a few times, but the one time that sticks out to me the most was back in eighth grade. I was in a group in science class, we were given a project on an element. I ended up doing all the work, we got an A on the project, but my two group members got the same grade as I did.

Works Cited
Zusak,Markus. The Book Thief. New York City, NY. Alfred A Knoph. 2005.Print.

1 comment:

  1. 10/10: Very nice job introducing the topic to your reader. You are going to do very well in Comp I next semester because you are such a talented writer.

    I am sorry to hear about your previous experience with group work. How is everything going with your PBL group work? I hope that the division of work seems more fair.

    ReplyDelete